Nowhere in the lyrics by the Beatles of ‘When I’m 64’ does it mention scrapping against the new ball on a sapping afternoon at Kirkstall Educational in the Over 60s County Championship.
Such reticence by John Lennon and Paul McCartney reflects the fact that even though cricket is viewed as a game where we can play to an age where joints need regular lubrication with WD-40, the reality is that many don’t still wear whites as a sexagenarian.
Yorkshire Over 60s compete in the North Group of the Seevent National 60+ County Cricket Championship and are tucked in just behind leaders Lancashire, a few points back.
For the latest episode of the Cricket Yorkshire Podcast, I interview Martin Ivill, captain of Yorkshire Over 60s and a former league bowler with Wombwell Main, Barnsley and Sheffield Collegiate.
Martin’s cricketing CV includes the National Club Championship in 2000, the County Championship with Yorkshire Over 50s and vice-captain of England Over 60s.
Over our 15 minute interview, the inevitable question crops up, namely to what extent is this still hard-fought, competitive cricket:
“Believe you me…it is just as keen as it ever was! The fire is still there in these guys…
They wouldn’t turn up as a sixty year old with aching bones and bodies if it didn’t matter.”
Listen to Martin Ivill, Yorkshire Over 60s Captain
In the episode, Martin talks about:
- His cricket career in club, league and county cricket
- Fighting the aches and pains
- Yorkshire Over 60s season so far
- How it always matters playing for Yorkshire
Or, listen to all the Cricket Yorkshire interviews here: https://anchor.fm/cricketyorkshire
Here’s more on the Over 60s County Championship: http://www.60cc.co.uk
My thanks to go John Heald for his photography, check out his website here: https://www.johnhealdphotography.co.uk.
Latest posts by John Fuller (see all)
- PRE-ORDER now: My new Scarborough Cricket Festival book - December 9, 2018
- York Cricket Club wins first-class fixture for 2019 - November 27, 2018
- Can clubs prosper by offering live cricket streaming? - November 23, 2018
- Rain stopped play: Getting the best from cricket covers - November 15, 2018
- Cricket Asylum: Technology, coaching transformation and the ultimate cricket tours - November 12, 2018